Hi there!!

Welcome to my Blog, nothing fancy just plain and simple but hopefully for the few seconds/minutes you have reading my page, it will give you an "oh yeah!" or "hehe" or maybe an "a-ha" moment. If not, I apologize. If so, you're welcome and I hope to see you again. Enjoy...

Monday 14 March 2011

A Baking Bimbo

So after my attempt of making a "It's so easy, anyone can do it" pavlova,  I have come to the affirmation that I am indeed a baking bimbo...  Quite possibly a kitchen bimbo.  The first thing that many of my family and friends said to my husband before we were married (who is well known for his exceptionally large appetite) was "Good luck, unless you can cook, you might be eating 2 minute noodles and toast for dinner for the rest of your life".  Yes, that was the extent of my cooking repertoire.
I will always be known by my older sister as the girl who she asked to "throw some peas in a saucepan" for her and then burnt them because there was no water in the pan.  "What?  You didn't say to put water in the saucepan!!" (age 18).  But as I reflect on my pathway to becoming a kitchen bimbo, I happily conclude that all blame and responsibility should be placed on my dear Mother (hehehe).  Ok I must admit, I never really had an interest in what went on behind the scenes to making my dinner.  I just enjoyed the eating part.  Spoilt brat!!
I had other interests, interests that I felt were more noble and above those of a kitchenhand.  So where have those noble interests afforded me now that I'm a stay at home Mum??  Can you hear that?  It's my sister in her kitchen right now laughing out loud rubbing her hands together (and she lives 23kms from here).   
So back to why it's my Mother's fault?  Well, even though I didn't particularly have a keen interest in cooking, I feel she should have taken the time to show me how to make some foods or make me watch her and explain how things work.  Who knows, I may have liked it!!  I only just found out two days ago that egg binds the ingredients together and that you can't whip cream too long otherwise it curdles (age 32). 
So now that I'm a Mother, I feel I owe it to my children to teach them these "basic" skills for every day living such as cooking, housecleaning, sewing (flashback to watching Little House on the Prairie!!).  Unless of course you organize an arranged marriage for them with a wealthy family who have cooks and maids.  What the?  Yes, you do no favours for your kids (and their future spouses) by doing everything for them.  I know it's a lot simpler to do so and a lot quicker but we are not helping them in becoming well equipped, self sufficient adults.  So please, when you tell your daughter or son (at age 8) to throw some peas in a saucepan for you whilst you show him or her to make fried rice, tell them that you need to add water.

5 comments:

  1. Nice and creative writing. Thanks for share with. Keep writing like this.

    thanks & regards

    The Villa Renaissance

    waxing in dandenong yarra valley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Writing is very creative and informative for us. Keep writing like this and do share with us every time. Thank you so much again.

    Thanks & Regards,
    cottage rosebud

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very unique and creative writing. Keep writing and share with us. Thank you so much for share with us.

    Thanks & Regards,
    rosebud seaside apartments

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete